Thursday, March 3, 2016

Celebrating Spring and the Joy of Friendship



Spring has sprung in Seattle!

The other day, my husband made my day by surprising me with tulips when he came home from work. While he often does the sweetest things like this for me "just because," this gesture was for a particular occasion: it was Mărțișor [mərt͡siˈʃor], the Romanian celebration on March 1 to mark the beginning of spring.


Beautiful tulips to mark the start of spring
Before he left for work that morning, I helped him choose some items to give as gifts from a small box he had at home. They were small trinkets attached to bows made of silky red-and-white threads. These are said to symbolize friendship, love, appreciation and respect, and it is customary for men to give them to female family members, friends and colleagues on Mărțișor.

Late in the evening, our Romanian friends, Oana and Florin, delivered their gifts: lovely accessories they made and a daffodil from their garden. 


Our other Romanian friends also gave me some mărțișor trinkets: a traditional one from Radu and Sandra (who are also our nași or godparents) and a modern one from  Ionuț and Irina.

Left: Snowdrop as a symbol of spring
Right: Horse shoe and four-leaf clover - a traditional mărțișor

Ahoy, anchor trinket + 1928 fashion!
I love the Art Deco postcard it came with.
I couldn't help but be amazed by this tradition. We definitely didn't have such a celebration in the Philippines. My motherland of eternal sunshine (and the occasional torrential rain) doesn't have four seasons; I grew up seeing the same flowers and trees bloom and grow all year. I realized that this is actually my first time to experience all four seasons in a row, and this is my very first spring!

Just add water

Upon our return to Washington this January after spending most of winter in Romania, our friends Sonia and Razvan informed us that, sadly, the plant we asked them to take care of for us didn't survive. We didn't mind, of course! Our plant had a higher chance of surviving when left with them than left behind at home while we were on vacation. All the same, they returned our pot filled with soil, told us they had a surprise in it for us and instructed us, "just water it everyday."

Two weeks had passed, and my husband and I totally forgot all about the "surprise" sitting on our patio until the same couple asked us about it. I immediately started watering it. A month later, we enjoyed the beauty and fragrance of two hyacinth flowers!

It was a wonderful experience to witness these flowers grow, and it was also quite a treat to see them bloom exactly on my birthday! When I have my own garden, I'll definitely continue planting hyacinths in springtime.

Our hyacinths' journey

Running outside  rain or shine!


Moving from the tropics to a temperate country meant that spending time outdoors is – and will always be  quite cold for me. Nevertheless, I started running with my new friends, Pilar and Melanee, every weekend. Aside from being able to spend time together outside of school and pave our path to fitness, we are also often rewarded with the sight of beautiful blooms along the various trails we take.

 Glorious daffodils and the perfect running weather around Greenlake Park.

(Yes, Seattle! More of this, please!)
Cherry  trees in bloom around  Lake Union

Crocuses near the end of a 5-mile run at the Seattle Arboretum
It's been almost seven months since I moved here. I sometimes find myself a little achy to see my family and friends back home. Still, my heart remains grateful to feel so much love from family and friends here.



As I reflect on Mărțișor, the well-wishes of health and prosperity and the meaning of those trinkets, I bow my head and say a prayer of thanks for the beauty of new beginnings, life, love and friendship.

Sa ai o primavara frumoasa!

Isang magandang tagsibol!

Have a beautiful spring!

2 comments: